In 2010 a really good friend of mine who lives in Hawaii was going through chemo, was tired, in bed and was feeling kind of un-vital. She wanted something to do and asked if I had a project I could throw her way. So I said sure and gave her a list of every station I was doing AND the competition.
I asked her to:
1. Go to the site and find a promotion or event or morning show feature.
2. Go to the jock bios and pick out one of two of the talent.
3. Click on their email link (it was 2010, jock bios always had emails)
4. Introduce yourself as being new to the market, you loved the station and (ask a question about the promotion, event or morning show feature)
5. And then track the response time and rate.
She’s an accountant so her detail skills are great (she kicked cancer’s butt)(yea!) and she created a spreadsheet of the project.
The response rate was pretty pathetic. Under 40%.